8/06/2013

Konjiki Ashisogi Jizō

I've watched Bleach since high school and it's the only manga that I really still follow today. I have to admit that the author, Kubo Tite, has done nothing but disappoint me with his atrocious story-telling abilities (though some of it may be due to the constraints put upon him by his publisher) but I've been following this for so long, I might as well follow it to the end, which apparently is coming up in the foreseeable future.

I've found that, for at least a few years now, my imagination has become quite fond of using certain imagery from Bleach as a sort of manifestation for my emotional coping mechanisms. That sounds really pretentious, but whatever the fuck man, that's the best I can do right now.

The Bankai of 12th Squad Captain Mayuri Kurotsuchi is Konjiki Ashisogi Jizō, Golden Leg-Cutting Jizō. Jizō is the Japanese name for the bodhisattva Ksitigarbha, the guardian of children (which explains why the bankai looks/sounds like some creepy-ass baby). It's been shown twice so far (well, canonically) and during its first incarnation, one of its abilities was for it to burst out a protruding set of blades through its chest, which I assume would impale the things it rams itself into.

Anyway, it's not like I would want that as an ability per se; it's pretty useless as far as the Bleach world is concerned. But, sometimes, my mind uses that as a visual metaphor for catharsis. All those poisonous thoughts that take hold of me, accumulating in that central area of my chest, they really do sometimes feel like blades, each capable of a greatly damaging visceral pierce. It would really be swell if those blades that seem content at wreaking havoc within would manifest themselves and burst out so that I could swiftly rip them out to stop their meaningless onslaughts once and for all.

What a shitty, childish post. Oh well...

No comments: